Monday, March 15, 2010

Ethnicity, Taiwan and the Moderate Ex-Pat

I recently commented on 8asians about an article pointing out that Asians-American youth in California are the fittest kids in that state.

I facetiously replied to a question posed if Filipino = Asian. My reply was in the context of admiring Manny Pacquiao who recently won a boxing match with Josh Clottey. I didn't grow up with any Asian sports idols so I'd like to claim Pacquiao as Asian and someone who is like me that I can look up to. I also feel a closer connection because my parents grew up in the Philippines and I understand why Manny is so polite and generally happy. He fights with a smile on his face and makes every attempt to be cordial to someone he's punching in the face.

But back to my point.

Someone replied to my comment and used it as a soap box to preach about adding a category of Taiwanese to standardized forms.

I wish this guy would get off his high, Taiwanese horse.

The classification of ethnicity in America is a tool to determine someone's socio-economic status. There is Asian (generally those perceived as well-to-do from Asia), Pacific Islander (P.I.'s tend to be of a lower socio-economic class and lesser opportunity). I'm of the opinion that Hmong should definitely be it's own class since so many came to the US as refugees and that further more there should be a class of Asian that is considered "refugee" or otherwise disadvantaged so as to not constantly associate "well-to-do" with Asian.

This guy (not the guy that commented back to me necessarily) identifies as Taiwanese American. KUDOS!

I identify as "Chinese from Southern FuJian via Philippines". But our roots are still Chinese and our socio-economic is similar enough to "Chinese" to be grouped as such.

WHAT'S MY FUCKING POINT?!?!?!?

This is the wrong platform to fight this fight. Not on this blog post, not in the 2010 Census but, rather, in the international relations arena. Fight it in China, fight it in the government of the US as it applies to foreign policy. Fight it as China's influence grows (believe it, it'll grow fast from here on out). Fight it economically (China is messing with their monetary policy . . . what does that mean for all the money the US owes them?).

How can Taiwan be an ally to the US as China's influence grows?

Pick your fights and pick them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment