Sunday, June 20, 2010

M&M and Asian American

I've been following Minority Militant (whom, to myself, I facetiously call M&M) for at least a year now but only tonight have I read his profile.

If you follow him, you'd know that he's going through some rough times and I simply wanted to show love and support for someone whose frustration I can at the very least imagine and at the most understand.

A few of the things I found poignant in his profile is the very honest communication of his frustrations and how simple it is for him to express the concept of "Asian American".

I don't believe that I can call myself "American" like some of my former racist friends insist. I'm still an outcast and I'm not going to deny the different treatment I get for being yellow by just saying that I am "American".

It's important to say that I am "Asian American" or if need be "Chinese American". For me, and I suspect for the Militant, this is simply our state of being. No need to question it. No need for further discussion until the post racial era gets here . . . if ever.

But, until then I show love and stand with other AA bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment