Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Why did you say that?

White Guy: Hey, man! How's it going?
Me: No Bad. How are you?
White Guy: Pretty Good. Did you see the Karate Kid?
Me: They misnamed that movie.
White Guy: . . . Kung Fu?
Me: Yup.

If I didn't actually know this guy I wouldn't have immediately suspected him of talking to me about the recent Karate Kid movie because I'm yellow. But I DO know him and my opinion of him is not exceptionally high nor do I think of him as someone cerebral or 100% aware of his actions.

In short, I'm pretty sure he asked me about the Karate Kid because I'm Asian and he associated "Karate" with my "Yellowness" to try and relate to me.

It's like that song "Kung-Fu Fighting". I'm not sure of it, but I think it was written by an African American trying to relate to Asians through Kung-Fu. F for effort. F- for poor means and shitty content.

Treat me like you treat other people.

In other news, someone today thought it was amusing that I called them a "mensch".
I think that's absolutely farkakte.

No comments:

Post a Comment