Monday, August 2, 2010

Karate Kid . . . (part II)

Remember this ignorant guy?

The other day he asked again if I saw "The Karate Kid".

There were so many other people I know he talks more often to in our gym class but he singles me out to ask that question again.

I told him, "I'm refusing to see that movie."
Ignorant Guy (we'll call him Iggy for short): "Why?"
Me: "It's racist."
Iggy: "How?"
Me: "Buy me a beer sometime and maybe I can find the time to explain it to you."
Iggy: ". . . . . . . . "
Me: "I'm not debating its merits as a movie and I understand that it's a great movie. I'm just not in love with the idea of perpetuating the problem non-Asians have differentiating distinct Asian cultures."
Iggy: ". . . . . . . "

People around me smiled their knowing smile of "we're sorry" and "please don't let him represent other white Americans."

They know better. I wish Iggy did too.

No comments:

Post a Comment