Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Open Letter to other Neighbor

Dear Hispanic People that Live on the Other Side of Me,

You're perfectly nice and your kid's cuteness more than cancels out his vuvuzela blowing (yah he's that cute). But, you asked where I was from, and when I replied "Florida" you seemed disappointed.

You the said, "I mean where are your parents from?"
I said, knowing where the conversation was going, "The Philippines."
You said, "Oh you're Filipino?"
I said, now happy that this part of the conversation could be over, "No, soy Chino."

You said, in English, "Oh, you speak Spanish."
I said, "Creci en Florida."

Why do hispanic people keep mistaking me for hispanic? Yah this guy wasn't sure so he asked but even in Florida people on the street would call me "paco" or ask me the time in spanish. It's happened less in MA but is still strange that anyone would mistake this Chino for Mexicano.

Please tell your friends that I'm Chinese, but that I'm glad to answer in Spanish when forced to.

-YF

2 comments:

  1. I'm Hispanic and have NEVER EVER EVER mistaken you for Hispanic. So please don't generalize.

    I'm sure your mustache doesn't help though. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't say "all Hispanic people" but rather "Hispanic people". At least 80% of mistaken ethnicity (mistaken for Hispanic as opposed to mistaken other Asian ethnicity) have been committed by Hispanics. I was accosted twice in the street for directions in Spanish. The burrito artists at Ana's Taqueria regularly ask me where I'm from in Spanish.

    It's a statement of mere fact, rather than one of generalization.

    ReplyDelete