Thursday, December 3, 2009

Open Letter to lady who has something to say to everything

Dear White Lady I talked to today who had some ignorant advice every time I was just trying to make conversation,

You asked why I'm not in love with my home town. I told you I didn't have very good memories growing up there. Yes, your old, retired, formerly snow bird parents live there and it seems like a nice place to live. Yes, there's no snow there. But telling me about how good it is there doesn't make me like it because I lived there for 18+ mother-fucking years and know the town for what it truly is.

My home town is the only place Jimmy Hendrix said he would not play again. It's one of the first places that booed Andy Dick off the stage (I don't totally disagree with that, but there was wrong doing on both sides of that jackass convention). It's the only place where a beautiful woman DJing topless was booed into stopping her show simply because the crowd disliked her music (i understand she was not a half bad DJ and her top was off for Christ's sake . . . give her a break, loose boobies don't let you do battle scratching effectively).

But mostly I dislike my home town because of the racism that runs rampant in it. The highways outline the socio-economic and racial borders. In 2009 the town is still very starkly segregated and growing up there in the 80's was just that much worse.

So white lady . . . next time you tell me my hometown is not such a bad place and that I need to just spend more time there to appreciate it, remember that there is such a thing as white privilege and that it affords you luxuries like being able to say that my hometown is nice. Just remember that there are some places you can't go in that town because of the color of your skin. And more over, remember that I basically can't be comfortable any where in that town because of the color of my skin.

Sincerely,
YF

1 comment:

  1. i thoroughly enjoyed your rant. i hope this lady reads your open letter and gets a chance to have a new perspective on life.

    ReplyDelete