Sunday, October 3, 2010

Young Face or 21 Jumpstreet

I turned the age where kids aren't supposed to trust me anymore. In fact I've been this age for almost a year and things have changed for me, but the way people treat me hasn't.

When I was in undergrad people thought I graduated highschool early and asked me, without first confirming, what it was like to be a minor in college.

When I was in gradschool, middle schoolers hit on me (that was partially my fault because I would monopolize the "Pump It Up" dance machine every weekend). People thought I was 19 when I was 26.

When I worked on Jet Engines, all the old people thought I was 22 but I was at least 5-8 years older than that.

Now that I'm starting a new job, I have some facial hair going on. I am the evil twin of YF from the parallel Star Trek dimension. I've made it a point to be a little more agressive and to let people know that I am not to be trifled with.

It is illogical to fuck with me.

But this young face I have is still not going to earn me the respect that reflects my experience.

No comments about how you wish you looked young too. It's a double edged sword and yes, I will enjoy it when I'm 50 and look 35 and people say, "WTF? You're 50? I thought you were 35."
Yah . . . 21 Jumpstreet

1 comment:

  1. A youthful face can definitely be a double edgded sword.

    For me, people always say that I act older and when they try to guess my age, they say I look MY AGE, expecting me to respond that I am older...I don't know what to think about that yet

    ReplyDelete