Friday, October 1, 2010

Racism Sigh

My brother still lives in the town in which we grew up (in the deep south). Sometimes I pity him because of his surroundings and posts like these are why.

It's not right that people still rally to hunt down others unlike them. It's not right to execute a crime of opportunity when the opportunity is a colored person within range/convenience of your harassment.

I believe I've had far less interaction with White Supremacy groups when compared to my brother but over 27 years of living down there and more than a few run ins with Neo-Nazis and KKK members was enough for me.

I can't imagine keeping track of the subtleties of White Supremacists' calling cards and in my world i tend to keep things simpler. My run ins with the this kind of racism have forced me to learn 3 things:
1. You can't always run. You should try to run first. ALWAYS. Often racists are greater in numbers (by their design and acknowledgement of their cowardice). They are also often prepared to go after you should you run.
2. Because you can't always run you should have a plan B. My plan B is knowing enough self defense and dirty fighting to get myself out of a situation. This includes carrying a 3" knife on my person and knowing how to use it effectively against an opponent bent on wiping my people out. I'm lucky enough that I haven't had to use plan B.
3. Always be vigilant and pick and choose the places you go. Southie? No, thank you. I'm pretty sure I'm not welcome there. West Massachusetts? No, thank you. That area is one of the fastest growing in terms of White Supremacy groups/militias. The outskirts of any city where the land is unincorporated and people actually grow their own food? No, thank you. This is where racism seems to breed in this country.

I hope, since I chose to live in a metro area with a higher concentration of Asians, I won't have to worry about any of this any more.

"If it ain't White, it ain't right." is not something I care to hear again.

No comments:

Post a Comment