Monday, October 18, 2010

Crushing Asian Shame

Joe Kurihara has been arrested for public intoxication. So drunk that he forgot that he had a 3 year old to take care of. The boy is fine but I'm pretty sure the whole family is totally embarrassed.

I'm hoping this isn't what it takes for Asians to go mainstream in the US.

My parents shamed me so much before I was 3 years old that I was deathly afraid of the police (also partly because we called them "Stinky Police", a hold over from the Philippines where almost all police are corrupt).

I actually thought that at any time the police could come take me away for anything mildly offensive. From missing the garbage can to peeing outside the toilet bowl.

As I got older I noticed that cops didn't care about this stuff and that a good deal of them were too fat or too stupid to keep up.

I try to always think a few steps ahead and predict the consequences right before I go through with the action. Joe probably should have done the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment